Directed by Patrick Garland; Claire Bloom as Nora and Anthony Hopkins as Torvald (1973)
Objective: Watch the following two versions (posted above) from the opening of Ibsen's A Doll's House and argue which of the two videos is the best interpretation of either Nora or Torvald's character.
- Offering your opinion on this subject with specific reasons on why will help you craft a sophisticated thesis.
- The rest of your essay will go into detail explaining your thesis.
Pay attention to:
- delivery of the lines
- imagery the setting / scenery
- the portrayal of the actor
- lighting & camera effects
- sound effects or music
You have the names of the actors and the directors. Make it clear whether you are commenting on Ibsen, the director, the characters, or the actors.
It should be about 1,000 words. Edit and put spaces between paragraphs before you post please!
These should take more than one sitting to complete and show some depth and organizational structure.
I am well aware that neither video follows that play exactly. Your objective is not to point out the differences from the text. Your objective is listed above.
You have until Wednesday 9.30.09 @ noon to complete this assignment.
It is worth 100 points and will be graded by the following rubric.