Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Due to the problems posting 1,000 words in the comment streams--(it only seems to take about 500 words at a time and you have to break up your comments) & due to MHS' server / internet being down all day, please turn in a hard copy of your paper tomorrow (10.1.09) in class (as we discussed today.)
Hopefully the technology will work itself out and catch up to our needs. If you posted successfully, you are fine, but you can still print out if you prefer hand-written comments.
Peace. I hope you liked my pun.
Image & Wikipedia note: The Scream (Norwegian: Skrik; created 1893-1910) is the title of expressionist paintings and prints in a series by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch, depicting an agonized figure against a blood red sky. The landscape in the background is Oslofjord, viewed from the hill of Ekeberg, in Oslo (then Kristiania), Norway.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Objective: Read and comprehend Ibsen's A Doll's House and use textual evidence to explain how characterization is created in literature and film through the techniques of authors, actors, and directors in a formal essay.
Should state which movie clip presents the best version of either Nora or Torvald and explain why.
· You may only focus on the movie which is best.
· A sophisticated thesis will explain how characterization is created through author, actor, and director’s techniques.
Should each focus on a specific topic which helps prove your thesis.
· Provide context and “integrate evidence from the play”(37).
· Explain how author creates characterization with evidence.
· Explain why the movie version you picked represents this well.
· Give specific evidence (description) from the movie.
· Explain effect(s) of what you see actor doing, or techniques of the director.
Remember your essay is due Wednesday.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Directed by Patrick Garland; Claire Bloom as Nora and Anthony Hopkins as Torvald (1973)
Objective: Watch the following two versions (posted above) from the opening of Ibsen's A Doll's House and argue which of the two videos is the best interpretation of either Nora or Torvald's character.
- Offering your opinion on this subject with specific reasons on why will help you craft a sophisticated thesis.
- The rest of your essay will go into detail explaining your thesis.
Pay attention to:
- delivery of the lines
- imagery the setting / scenery
- the portrayal of the actor
- lighting & camera effects
- sound effects or music
You have the names of the actors and the directors. Make it clear whether you are commenting on Ibsen, the director, the characters, or the actors.
It should be about 1,000 words. Edit and put spaces between paragraphs before you post please!
These should take more than one sitting to complete and show some depth and organizational structure.
I am well aware that neither video follows that play exactly. Your objective is not to point out the differences from the text. Your objective is listed above.
You have until Wednesday 9.30.09 @ noon to complete this assignment.
It is worth 100 points and will be graded by the following rubric.
I just to make you aware that I will be hosting a Colby Sawyer College Progressive Scholars Information meeting next Thursday, Sept. 24th at 2:30 in the library. This will be an informational, informal meeting. If you have specific people you envision as potential candidates (outgoing, wants to be involved in their college campus, and has at least a 3.0 (unless there is some reasonable explanation as to why they don't), please send me their names so that I can reach out to them personally, as well as through the informational meeting.
The scheduled dates with CSC are:
October 8th- CSC visit MHS for their own private information session with the more serious candidates.
October 27- CSC visit MHS for official interviews at 12:00. (I will need to give CSC team a list of students a week ahead of time).
November 5- MHS visits CSC campus, along with Cambridge students.
More dates to come for the New Year.
Thanks for your support.
Victoria Lipinski, Holland House Guidance Counselor
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Homework assignment: 20 points
1. Write your impressions of either Nora or Torvald in the first Act of Ibsen's A Doll's House. You must write a paragraph that:
- makes a claim (thesis)
- provides evidence (page number) that is introduced with context (at least one example)
- & an explanation of how this evidence backs up your impressions of Nora or Torvald's character
Due: By class on Tuesday. Come and see me before that if you are having trouble. Late work will be given half credit for a 24 hour extension. After this credit will not be given.
We have limited time here in blogland today, people, so let's use the time effectively.
Today we will build our own blog.
It is essential that you follow directions and don't move ahead. Help someone else who is having trouble if you finish steps early.
Remember your username and password! This will allow you to comment on my blog--and there will be assignments submitted that way. I will not accept "I forgot my password" as an excuse for not submitting work.
Two things to keep in mind:
1. Compose your comments in Word and paste in when you are complete. If the internet crashes while you are composing, you will lose all your work.
2. Sarcasm is basically impossible to pull off in this forum. Keep all dialogue professional, courteous, and appropriate. This is a virtual classroom and once you post your comments, there is a record of them. This is the reality of the world you live in and you may as well learn how to perform in it. Intellectual dialogue is your goal.
You may spend class time "personalizing" your blog if you want. This will be an on/going portfolio of your work for the year and you should post any work you do for my class on this blog. (I also suggest you post work from other classes on this blog, but this is your choice--you can use the label bar at the bottom to separate your subjects.)
Post a comment below when you have finished to see how it works. ..!